Skip to main content
Puukuokka. Image Touho Häkkinen

Owner-occupied flats and houses

You can get a detached house by buying it, having it built or by building it yourself. Information on owning a detached house, a terraced house or an apartment in a block of flats is given at estate agents and banks.

Additional information about living in Finland:

Building a single-family house

If you are planning to build a single-family house or to have it built for you, contact the customer service of the City's building supervision unit - Hannikainen Service Point, Hannikaisenkatu 17, tel. +358 14 569 6000.

Right-of-occupancy housing

Right-of-occupancy housing is State-subsidized housing. Occupants pay a right-of-occupancy fee and a regular fee comparable to rent. Jyväskylä has around 2 700 housing units with housing rights loans from the state. Housing rights offer an alternative to owning and renting a home.

Applicants for right-of-occupancy housing must first apply for right-of-occupancy queuing numbers. You can apply to be on the waiting list from the municipality of the area you are applying a right-of-occupancy housing from. In Jyväskylä you can apply to be on the waiting list by filling in the right-of-occupancy queuing number application form. 

You must also notify the homeowner whose house you want to buy a right-of-occupancy apartment in, and identify the apartment you are interested in. The queue number you receive from the municipality will indicate your position with other applicants interested in the same flat.

Agents for right-of-occupancy dwellings in Jyväskylä 

  • Asokodit / Asuntosäätiön Asumisoikeus Oy / OP Koti Keski-Suomi Oy, Lkv, Kauppakatu 22, 40100 JKL, P. Mikko Raivio 050 401 6340 ja Kari Kaksonen 050 599 0762
  • TA-Asumisoikeus Oy, Keskustie 18 D, 40100 Jyväskylä, p. 045 7734 3880
  • AVAIN Asumisoikeus Oy, Vapaudenkatu 48-50, 40100 Jyväskylä, p. 040 640 4802
  • Varttuneiden asumisoikeusyhdistys Jaso ry
  • Varttuneiden asumisoikeusyhdistys Tikkalan Jaso, puheenjohtaja/yhdyshenkilö Paula Määttä, pamaatta[at], p. 040 545 1544
  • Jyväskylän seudun asumisoikeusyhdistys (Jysas)/Kirsi Vuorimaa p.040 7377056, jysas.yhdistys[at], see also Jysas Facebook 

Rented accommodation

Accommodation can be looked for from the private landlords through the papers or letting agents. When renting from a private sector, it is a good idea to take notice of the amount needed for a deposit and possible commission when using a letting agent. Accommodation can also be arranged through an employer. 

The first permanent accommodation for the refugees and often for the returning Ingrian immigrants is arranged by the county council. Other immigrants arrange their accommodation themselves. The housing offered by the county council is usually in a block of flats and they only have a few terraced houses. The size of housing varies according to the size of the family. Large families often end up living in cramped conditions, because there are seldom any bigger apartments than 4 rooms and a kitchen. There is also a shortage of small apartments for single people. All accommodation has a kitchen or a kitchenette as well as a shower and a toilet. Newer apartments may also have a sauna. There is often a communal sauna in a block of flats that families can reserve a regular time at for a fee. Parking space for a car must also be reserved and paid separately. According to the law the apartment must also have a smoke alarm. The flats have a central heating that adjusts the heat according to the temperature outside.

Searching for a rented accommodation

In Jyväskylä, accommodation can be looked for at, for example, Jyväskylän Vuokra-asunnot Oy, which is a regional letting company, or from other letting companies.

  • Jyväskylän Vuokra-asunnot Oy (JVA Oy)
    Public address: Väinönkatu 9, 40100 JYVÄSKYLÄ
    Postal address: PL 193, 40101 JYVÄSKYLÄ
    Opening hours: Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays 9.00am-2.00pm and Wednesdays 9.00am-5.00pm
    Additional information:
  • Sato-Yhtymä Oyj
    Address: Väinönkatu 7, 40100 Jyväskylä
    Tel. 014 338 8110
    Opening hours: Monday-Friday 8.00am-3.00pm
    Additional information:
  • VVO Kiinteistövastuu Oy
    Address: Vapaudenkatu 60, 40100 Jyväskylä
    Tel. 020 508 4172
    Additional information:
  • Lumo: Rental apartments in Jyväskylä
  • Avara Keski-Suomi Oy
    Address: Lyseonkatu 4, 40100 Jyväskylä
    Tel. 020 177 4400
    Additional information:

Paying the rent

The tenant renting accommodation makes a written rent agreement with the owner of the property. The rent agreement states the amount of the rent, how and when it should be paid, the period of tenancy and the term of notice. The agreement also states the tenant’s liability for damages in case the accommodation gets damaged during the tenancy. The tenant is not liable for normal wear and tear. The rent is paid at the beginning of the month in advance through the bank. In addition to the rent, the tenant also pays for water, electricity, sauna and a parking space. The landlord usually asks for a deposit at the time of signing the tenancy agreement. When the tenancy comes to an end, the landlord withholds part or all of the deposit for possible damages and unpaid bills. Otherwise the deposit will be refunded to the tenant.

Things to remember when moving house:

  • Give notice in your previous accommodation in time (check the lease for the term of notice).
  • Get removal van and help in time.
  • Remember to clean your previous accommodation carefully and arrange for the final check with the landlord.
  • Make a notice of moving within a week of moving house. The forms for making a notice of moving can be obtained from the post offices. The notice can also be made over the telephone by calling on 020 345 6456 or via internet. Your mail will be redirected from the old address to the new address free of charge for a month.
  • Inform the caretaker too when moving in or out of the accommodation.
  • Return all keys to the accommodation back to the landlord.
  • Remember also to inform the library, bank and the telephone company about your new address.
  • It is a good idea to arrange with the telephone company about transferring your phone connection in time to avoid any interruption of its use. The telephone company charges a fee for transferring the telephone connection.
  • Remember to cancel the old electricity agreement when making a new one.
  • Check your home insurance that it covers everything necessary also in your new home.


The name of your caretaker can be found in your rent agreement or its appendices. You should get in touch with the caretaker when

  • you forget your keys inside
  • something in the accommodation or it’s appliances or furnishing needs fixing
  • the lift is broken
  • your name is missing from the door or it is misspelt
  • you want to rent a parking space
  • the accommodation is either too cold or too hot
  • you want to ask something about sauna or laundry facilities
  • you notice faults or defects that could cause damage to either the tenants or the property.

Rules for the occupants

To make the living pleasant to everyone, some rules are set for the occupants. Usually, a detailed list of these rules is given with the rent agreement. In the rules and regulations, there is information, for example, about using the common areas, refuse, parking, keeping pets and beating carpets. Peace and quiet must usually be maintained from 10.00pm-7.00am.

House committee – tenant’s chance to make a difference

Most of the blocks of flats or groups of houses have a house committee where tenants are the members. All of the tenants have the right to attend meetings. Common matters to the tenants are usually discussed at the meetings, such as planning for pleasant surroundings, events and voluntary work in the yard.

Many blocks of flats arrange voluntary work in the yard during the spring and autumn when the yard and common areas are cleaned up and the borders trimmed. This voluntary work is a good way of getting to know your neighbours and to be part of the community.