Jyväskylä Adult Education Centre
The Adult Education Centre is open to all, regardless of their age or educational background.
We offer a wide variety of courses, for example arts and crafts, languages, sports and wellbeing, music and many more.
For more information on what an Adult Education centre is: https://kansalaisopistot.fi/kielet/english/
- Learning is largely self-motivated and not aimed at achieving a formal qualification. However, on some courses it is possible to gain study points. These courses are marked with the word Opintopistekurssi.
- There are several Finnish for foreigners courses on different levels.
- You can also attend lectures free of charge.
- At the Textile Advice Centre you can come and sew on sewing machines or have a go at weaving.
- For children and teens there is basic education in architecture, visual arts, music, literary art and theatre.
- The courses are held in the municipalities of Jyväskylä, Muurame, Uurainen and Luhanka. We organize evening, daytime and weekend courses as well as online courses.
- Some courses have been especially designed for the elderly or those with special needs.
- The courses are listed at uusi.opistopalvelut.fi/jyvaskyla
- On some courses the teaching language is English. Most courses are taught in Finnish but you can attend even if your knowledge of Finnish is limited.
You can see all the courses listed at uusi.opistopalvelut.fi/jyvaskyla
You must enroll before the course starts. There are three ways to do so:
- online at uusi.opistopalvelut.fi/jyvaskyla
- by phone: 014 266 0107
- in person at the Customer Service Desk on Vapaudenkatu 39-41
Notification: If you are enrolling on Finnish courses and you don’t have a Finnish social security number, please register in our infomartion point (look address on top).
When you enroll, you will be asked your name and ID number, address, mobile number and email address.
For statistics you will also be asked your educational background and employment status.
If you are under 18, you will need to give your guardian’s personal details.
The Customer Service Desk is on the ground floor of the Main Library – Adult Education Centre on Vapaudenkatu 39-41. Go through the glass door, the word “Neuvonta” stands above the Service Desk.
- The enrollmet is binding. This means that you agree to pay the course fee.
- On some courses there will also be additional fees, such as materials or books.
- After signing up for a course, you will receive an email with a direct payment link that is active for 30 days.
- You can pay part of the fee with an employee benefit, a training voucher for immigrants or the unemployed, or a “Kipinä” benefit issued by the social or health services.
- Ask the Customer Service staff for more information.
- You can cancel your enrollment free of charge if you do so at least 8 days before the course begins.
- You can cancel online, by email or at the Customer Service Desk.
- If you cancel later or fail to cancel, the Centre will charge the whole course fee.
Working times and holidays autumn 2022
- The autumn term begins on 5 September.
- Autumn holiday 17 October to 23 October.
- Independence Day 6 December
- Christmas holiday on 23.12.2022–8.1.2023.
- Spring term 2023 begins on 9 January.
Tel. 050 597 8967, mikko.saikkonen[at]jyvaskyla.fi
Acting assistant principal
Anna Reetta Pehkonen
Tel. 050 353 8073, anna.reetta.pehkonen[at]jyvaskyla.fi
Coordinator of music Jyväskylä and Luhanka, health and well-being Luhanka
Tel. 050 372 7359, sari.talvio[at]jyvaskyla.fi
Coordinator of visual arts
Tel. 050 502 1597, minna.piispanen[at]jyvaskyla.fi
Coordinator of textile crafts, ceramics, porcelain, glass, silver, mosaic, other applied arts
Tel. 050 597 8965, reetta.hirsimaki[at]jyvaskyla.fi
Coordinator of technical work, photography, architecture, navigation, nature, information technology
Tel. 040 067 5924, timo.junkala[at]jyvaskyla.fi
Coordinator of writing, oral expression
Tel. 040 822 1463, pia.niskanen[at]jyvaskyla.fi
Coordinator of languages, genealogy, food and household, history and economy
Tel. 050 563 0153, marja.peltonen[at]jyvaskyla.fi
Coordinator of physical training, dance, health
Tel. 040 480 8015, annika.hytonen[at]jyvaskyla.fi
Tel. 014 266 0107
Address: Vapaudenkatu 39 - 41, 40100 Jyväskylä
Opening hours during the terms: Mon–Thu 12.00–17.00, Fri closed
Opening hours at another time: Mon–Thu 12.00–15.00, Fri closed