Waste management control and regulations
In Finland, the responsibility for the collection of urban waste lies with municipalities.
The Jyväskylä City Environmental Protection Authority and the Central Finland Centre for Economic Development, Transport and the Environment are responsible for waste management control.
The Jyväskylä Regional Waste Management Board handles statutory duties related to waste management. The Board decides, among other things, on waste management regulations and waste charges, as well as monitors the appropriateness of the waste management arrangements of properties.
Producer responsibility applies, for example, to car tires, paper, end-of-life vehicles, packaging waste and the waste of electrical and electronic equipment.
Mustankorkea Oy, a waste management company owned by municipalities, is responsible for organising waste management in the Jyväskylä, Laukaa, Muurame and Toivakka areas. There are more than 170,000 inhabitants in the area where Mustankorkea operates. Mustankorkea Oy takes care of the collection, transportation, reception, treatment and utilisation of waste, as well as advises on waste management.
Its services include the Mustankorkea waste management centre and sorting yard, recycling points, regional collection points and mobile collection of hazardous waste.
Please contact Mustankorkea
- to submit a notification on the waste management arrangements of your property (individual or shared waste container)
- to indicate changes in your waste management services, e.g. emptying interval or billing information
- to find out more about your waste management bill
- to get more information on sorting or treating waste
- to submit a notification on composting or shared waste container
- to give us feedback on recycling points and hazardous waste collection