Waste management briefly explained
Waste management is organised regionally in the Jyväskylä, Laukaa, Muurame, and Toivakka areas.
The municipally owned waste company Mustankorkea Oy is responsible for the practical service tasks relating to waste management. Over 170 000 inhabitants live in Mustankorkea’s operational area. Mustankorkea Oy is responsible for arranging waste management services in practice; in other words, the company offers inhabitants waste management services by taking care of waste collection, transport, reception, handling and utilisation as well as offering waste management counselling.
The services include
- the Mustankorkea waste centre and sorting yard
- utility collection points
- regional collection points
- permanent reception points for hazardous waste
- circulating collection points
Contact Mustankorkea, when
- notifying concerning the waste management arrangements of a property (own or shared waste bin)
- changing your own waste management services, for instance frequency of bin emptying or billing information
- you would like to clarify matters concerning waste collection bills
- you would like additional information concerning waste sorting or handling
- notifying of composting or a shared waste bin
- you want to give feedback on utility or hazardous waste collection points
The Jyväskylä Region Waste Committee is responsible for any regulatory tasks related to waste management. The committee decides for instance on waste management decrees and waste fees in addition to monitoring the adequacy of waste management arrangements on properties.
You can contact the waste management authority when
- you wish to extend the emptying period of your general waste bin to 8 weeks
- you wish to make a notification concerning a uninhabitable property to remove its waste management obligation
Finland has high-quality waste management
High-quality waste management measures are a prerequisite to maintaining a safe and clean environment. Work has long been done in this area. Developing legislation and governance, developed waste management systems and individuals’ desire to sort their waste aim at preserving nature and natural resources and keeping nature clean also for coming generations.
Environmental Protection Designer Anu Surakka
p. 040 770 5978