Rune Snellman MORPHEUS Two cities
March 9 – April 15, Lower gallery
– MORPHEUS is a double exhibition which takes place in the two cities of Kokkola and Jyväskylä simultaneously. Kokkola is the city of my birth, the place where I spent the years of my childhood and youth. Jyväskylä is the city of my adult life; where I came to study in 1981. I am still on that road. The artwork shown in this exhibition was exposed to daylight between 2014 and 2018. Both exhibition locations also present the artwork from the other city so that in Kokkola, the images shown in Jyväskylä can be seen, and in Jyväskylä the images from Kokkola are also reflected into the space.
The opening will take place simultaneously in both cities on Thursday, March 8th from 6-8pm. The Jyväskylä Art Museum will open its doors at 5pm.
The K.H.Renlund Museum, The Roos House
Open Tue–Sun 11am–4pm, Thur 11am–6pm
The Jyväskylä Art Museum Holvi, Lower Gallery
open Tue– Sun 11am–6pm
Quick questions with the artist
In your opinion, what is most important in a photograph?
– Light; how light is bent and formed. For an example, I can mention the photographs of Edward Steichen (March 27th, 1879 – March 25th 1973 ) which have had a huge influence on me, especially in recent years.
How did you become a photographer?
– Everything started when I was a young boy. But younger, I didn’t really think I would become a photographer/artist. It kind of happened by accident. Of course I have also always been kind of visual, it might have something to with how my mother, Ruth, sold cinema tickets at the Bio Rex in Kokkola for over 20 years. The Bio Rex was my second ”home”.
What kinds of subjects / themes interest you?
– Time and how the environment, all encompassing, in which we live, is in constant transformation.
What kind of relationship do you have to photographic techniques, what techniques do you use?
– I don’t restrict my process to any one technique even if pinhole photography is close to my heart. The exhibition MORPHEUS is uniquely made up of pinhole images that inspire a dreaminess and the passage of time. Of course I also use a digital camera and mobile devices depending on the situation.