Skip to main content
Sosisaaliohjausta Kuokkalan terveysasemalla. Image Petteri Kivimäki

The services of social work provided are rehabilitative social work and social security, child protection and the social work with disabled. There are two main offices of Social Services in the city centre of which the other looks after the rehabilitative social work and social security, and the other looks after child protection and agreements of child custody and visiting rights. The social work with disabled has been centralised in the Office of Social work with the disabled.

Rehabilitative social work

Rehabilitative social work helps with things to do in basic security and social rehabilitation. Rehabilitative social work gives guidance and advice to customers on how to survive independently and how to better control one’s own life. Social work cooperates closely with, for example, health care, employment office and the care for the alcohol and drug abusers.

Social assistance

The social assistance is the last financial support, the aim of which is to secure a minimum essential income. The social assistance is applied for by making an appointment to a benefit settler, care manager or a social worker in that residential area that the applicant lives in. If the applicant is applying for financial support only, the appointment is made with the benefit settler. Social assistance is applied by filling an application form and meeting the social worker at the municipal social welfare office.

Jyväskylä's social welfare office:

  • Hannikaisenkatu social station
    Address: Hannikaisenkatu 37, 40100 Jyväskylä
    Phone +358 14 266 3624, +358 14 266 1972

Support for families with children

The survival of the families with children is supported in many ways. Parents planning a divorce or living separately can discuss and make an agreement on child’s custody, visiting rights and child support with a social worker. Schools have their own school social workers. The school social worker helps and supports the students and their families on things like education, and growth and development.

Child welfare

Child welfare sees to a child’s right for a secure and stimulating environment, balanced and varied devel-opment, and special protection and care. Child protection cases are usually started by a worry of a child’s well-being, health or development. For example, a lack of child care, parent’s alcohol or drug abuse, mental health problems or strong conflicts in the family can endanger the child’s well-being. The child can also endanger his or her own life with their own alcohol or drug abuse, by neglecting education or committing crimes. Anyone who notices a child or a young person in a need of help can get in touch with a social worker. According to the child protection law, officials and trustees are obligated to get in touch with the child protection when they think it is needed.

Child protection is carried out in cooperation with family, the family’s close network and officials like day-care, child health clinic, school and youth work. The parents are supported in children’s upbringing primarily so that the child is able to grow at his or her own home. In a case when the child’s situation is not improved with social support measures, the child can be taken-into-care and placed either at children’s home, youth home or in a foster family.

Establishing paternity

If a child's parents are not married at the moment of the child's birth, the mother is registered as the only parent.

You can acknowledge paternity at a maternity cilinic only during pregnancy. After the child's birth, paternity is acknowledged at an appointment with a child welfare officer

The procedures of the paternity investigations are taken care of by the social worker of the city. More information is available from Jyväskylä child welfare office at the social services.

Custody, living arrangements, right of access and maintenance

When a child is born while his or her parents are married, both parents are his or her guardians. If the parents are not married, the mother is the sole guardian of the child.

The parents can make a custody agreement during an appointment with a child welfare officer or let the matter be decided by a court of law.

When the parents divorce, they shall agree on the parent with whom the child will live. The child shall be registered as a resident in one place only.

A child has the right to meet and keep in contact with the parent with whom he or she does not live. The parents can mutually agree on the visiting rights, make an agreement on the matter at an appointment with a child welfare officer or have a district court solve the matter.

If the non-custodial parent is unable to care for the child during these meetings, supervised meetings can be arranged.

Parents can negotiate on the amount of maintenance payment at an appointment with a child welfare officer.

If the child’s parents do not live in the same household, the parent living elsewhere usually pays a monthly maintenance allowance. During the negotiation, both parents' maintenance capacity and the child's need for maintenance will be charted. A maintenance agreement—valid until the child's age of majority—will be concluded. In certain cases, a fixed-term agreement will be made.

An agreement between parents or a court decision can be amended with a new agreement or court decision.

Child welfare office

Child welfare officers of city of Jyväskylä are located in the building of Family and Child Guidance Clinic.

Address: Väinönkatu 6 (3rd floor), 40100 Jyväskylä

Child welfare officers only accept clients by appointment. You can contact the child welfare officers and case manager via telephone during telephone service hours.

You can also contact the child welfare officers and case manager on the Internet through Hyvis electronic services (in Finnish).


Social services of City of Jyväskylä (in Finnish)

Employment and subsistence

Child protection of City of Jyväskylä (in Finnish)

Children's Day Care

The Crisis Center Mobile Jyväskylä

Hospital Nova of Central Finland

Information on Child Welfare

Ministry of the Interior - Finnish Immigration Service

Kela card (personal health insurance card)