Skip to main content
Kynä kädessä

What health services can you use as an immigrant in Finland

You are entitled to use public health services in Finland if you have a municipality of residence in Finland. If you are unsure whether you have a municipality of residence in Finland, find out at the Digital and Population Data Services Agency (Digi- ja väestötietovirasto). Please find more information on InfoFinland.

The right to a municipality of residence depends on the following matters:

  • the country from which you have come to Finland
  • your reason for coming to Finland (e.g. work, studying)
  • whether you are moving to Finland permanently or staying here temporarily
  • if you are staying in Finland temporarily, the length of your stay in Finland

Municipality of residence in Jyväskylä 

  • Each resident has been allocated their own doctor from the health centre for that residential area they live in.
  • Finding your health centre and for booking appointment with a nurse in Jyväskylä.
  • Specialist health care services are organized by Central Finland Health Care District.
  • Kela-card (Personal Health Insurance Card) is needed when visiting the health centre or the hospital. By showing the Kela-card, the pharmacist gives some reductions on prescribed medication.

Health care for visitors with European Health Insurance Card

  • European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) gives you access to medically necessary, state-provided healthcare during a temporary stay in any of the EU countries, Iceland, Lichtenstein, Norway and Switzerland. When you show your EHIC, you will receive treatment under the same conditions and at the same cost as people insured in that country.
  • Patients can contact a municipal health centre, where health-care professionals will assess the need for medical care according to national instructions and treatment practices. Patients have to prove their right to benefits by presenting a valid European Health Insurance Card.
  • More information about EHIC – European Health Insurance Card

Health care during a temporary stay in Finland 

  • The citizens of non-EU and non-EEA countries are not covered by the Finnish national health insurance and a full compensation fee will be charged. Persons coming to Finland from countries other than EU/EEA Countries or Switzerland should always take insurance fully covering expenses due to medical care.