Art and Culture companions
Culture for everyone!
No one to go with? Do you need a companion for a museum visit or concert?
Art and Culture Companions (ACC) are volunteers available for exhibitions, theatre shows or concerts, in order to provide low-threshold access to diverse cultural activities. Art and culture companions help make culture more accessible by accompanying people to events or by guiding groups around museums. Activities such as visiting an exhibition, learning about your heritage or enjoying music together at a concert, are known to boost your well-being. AAC volunteers are cultural ’ambassadors’ and provide recreational opportunities for everyone.
The Art and Culture Companion service in a nutshell:
- companions are for anyone who wants or needs one
- companions are trained in cultural services in the region, and they are ready to introduce individuals and groups to them
- companions are also available for people with special needs, groups, communities, associations and institutions
- companions work as cultural agents with various organisations, enhancing the community spirit
- the service is free of charge, and groups and individuals accompanied by an ACC are entitled to free entry or special discounts at museums and other cultural venues
- the principles of volunteer work apply to the service
- ACCs regularly undergo further training and meetings
In 2023, you can visit the following places free of charge with an Art and Culture Companion: Jyväskylä Art Museum, Alvar Aalto Museum at Säynätsalo, Museum of Central Finland, Craft Museum of Finland, Soihtu Exhibition Centre, Natural History Museum of Central Finland, Gallerie Becker and the Finnish Airforce Museum Tikkakoski. In addition, the Jyväskylä City Theatre and Jyväskylä Sinfonia grant a special discount to visitors using the art and culture companion service. Special discounts to other cultural attractions are being negotiated.
Multilingual visitors, please ask for companions speaking other languages, such as English, Swedish, German, Russian etc.
Enjoying art together is super healthy according to many researches, which all compianions have experienced too.
Don't hesitate to ask for more information! Why don't you gather your group and try a visit to a local museum with Art and Culture Companions?