Straight to content
Jyväskylä Coat of Arms

Säynätsalo

Säynätsalo is part of the city of Jyväskylä. Säynätsalo is chiefly composed of three large islands, the main island (also known as Säynätsalo), Lehtisaari and Muuratsalo. The newest residential area is Kinkovuori. The northern half of Muuratsalo belongs to Säynätsalo, while the southern half of the island forms part of the municipality of Muurame. The district is virtually surrounded by Lake Päijänne on all sides, and the nature encountered on the islands is particularly diverse.

Säynätsalo was an independent municipality from 1924 until 1993, at which point it merged with the City of Jyväskylä. The population of the ‘island suburb’ at the turn of 2007-2008 was 3 341. The distance to the centre of Jyväskylä is approximately 16 kilometres.

Säynätsalo sprang up around the sawmill and plywood industries well over a hundred years ago, and it is also renowned for its international architecture. On Säynätsalo’s main island industry still provides a large number of jobs. The biggest employer is UPM Jyväskylä’s plywood mill.

 

Linkki verkkonäyttelyyn

Copyright © City of Jyväskylä 2017 | To the top