Sports and recreation
Jyväskylä is a sporting paradise for all those interested in physical well-being. Whether you’re interested in serious competition or just gentle exercise the city has a wide range of recreational facilities accessible daily. The options range from keep fit classes to ice skating, from track and field to Finnish baseball. In addition to the numerous sport facilities, there are lakes and forests within walking distance to enjoy the great outdoors. The skiing centre and recreation area at Laajavuori is just a few kilometres from the city centre.
The city encourages everyone from babies to the elderly to adopt an active lifestyle. A generally positive attitude towards physical recreation, in addition to top sport sciences institutions have contributed a great deal to the development of the city’s inspiring sports culture.
Sports in Jyväskylä in a nutshell
- extensive variety of sports and physical recreation
- approximately 200 sports clubs attract thousands of children, youngsters and adults excellent indoor sport facilities including AaltoAlvari,
- Hippos Hall and Graniitti
- popular outdoor sport facilities including Harju Stadium and 15 local sports parks
- 500 km of maintained cross-country ski trails
- University of Jyväskylä has Finland’s only Faculty of Sport and Health Sciences